Simple Baked Potato Soup
by V. Buritsch
This recipe was passed on to me by a family member, so I more or less cook it from memory now. I don’t post recipies here a lot, but this feels worth sharing for the holidays.
- Chicken and/or vegetable broth (1 can for every lb of potatoes)
- Salt and pepper
- (Seasoning salt and chives if you’d prefer)
- Potatoes – Brown if you want to peel them, red or yellow if you don’t. We NEVER peel them.
- 16 oz of cream cheese for a 5lb bag of red potatoes
- Cut potatoes into eighths or manageable chunks.
- Cover with broth
- Add salt and pepper
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours
- Leave the cream cheese out to soften, then cube and add sometime during/after you’re done cooking (original recipe said “add within the last hour of cooking” – so if it was high for six hours, you add it at the 5 hour mark)
- Simmer for an hour or until it melts.
Garnish with cheddar cheese, cheddarjack jeese, or Pepperjack cheese (I used to have trouble with pepperjack because I’d shred it and my family would get nervous: THOSE ARE PEPPERS!!!). You can also fry up bacon for “baked potato” soup
Modifications to mine, this month:
- Almost an entire 3lb bag of red potatoes
- Two small/med heads of Broccoli and about ½ a slice of red onion, chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese & 2 cans chicken broth
- About ½ cup of chardonnay (Cheap box wine, last of my box)
- About ½ cup of alfredo sauce (to thicken it up, you don’t need as much broth if you use broccoli)
- About ½ bag of Italian shredded cheese and Colby jack cheese, also to thicken it up, because it wasn’t going to HURT anything at that point